Pro-aging tips continue to multiply as our social interactions grow increasingly more digital and our search for solutions often involves a quick google query. Case in point: I came across a recent suggestion for aging hair: “resist the urge to cut bangs.” Oh boy. Before taking any drastic measures, let’s dig into the scientific root of happy, healthy hair.
While a pretty solid suggestion, I’m really more interested in solutions that are based in science. And just why should we pull science into our scalp and haircare journey? Because there is a strong correlation between what we see when we look in the mirror each day and how we feel about ourselves. Recent Yale University research shows that bad hair days have a direct impact on our self-confidence and how we feel about ourselves. A bad hair day can leave us feeling less intelligent and less competent — and these feelings were highest among men.
What physically happens to our hair as we age?
- Graying. Gray hair is one of the most noticeable changes and is the result of decreased melanin production, and why our hair turns gray or white.
- Thinning. Changes in hormone levels and our genetics can cause our hair follicles to shrink, leading to thinner hair strands.
- Reduced growth. The process for hair growth changes as we age: the growth phase shortens and the resting phase becomes longer, resulting in overall slower hair growth.
- Scalp changes. The skin on our scalp can become drier, prone to inflammation, and less elastic as we age.
- Changes in texture. Due to hormonal changes, environmental stressors, and our overall health, our hair may become drier, more brittle or even more coarse.
While the changes in our hair as we age look different for each of us, the fact is: our hair will change. But the good news is that we can be proactive (or even effectively reactive) with how we plan for or adjust to these changes. A relatively new brand, Divi, caught our attention as their purpose (creating products to promote your healthiest scalp and happiest hair with ingredients that are clean, effective and backed by science) aligns with ours.
What are science-backed solutions for increasing the health of our hair?
- Nutrition. Vitamins A, C, D, E, and B-complexes, along with iron and zinc, are crucial ingredients for healthy hair. You will also want to pay attention to protein intake as our hair is primarily composed of keratin (an important protein). A deficiency in any of these areas can lead to hair loss or brittleness.
- Hydration. Water is essential for our overall health, and that includes our hair and scalp. When we are dehydrated, our hair can appear dull and is more prone to breakage. Simply drinking more water can keep your scalp moisturized and encourage production of your hair’s natural oils.
- Exercise. It’s good for the body, mind, and hair follicle. Regular physical activity improves blood circulation and reduces stress. Chronic stress is not good for us, and its impact on our hair is huge — often leading to hair loss.
- Supplements. While there are a wide variety of supplements on the market, it is important to use clean ingredients free from harmful chemicals. Look for Biotin (Magnesium Biotinate) as well as those vitamins listed above. And, as always, check with your healthcare professional before starting any new supplements.
- Clean products. As we age, this is even more important. Using clean hair products can be gentler on your hair and scalp. You are going to want sulfate- and paraben-free ingredients. Your scalp is going to love peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and menthol.
The vegan shampoo, conditioner, scalp serum, and hair vitamins are the solutions from Divi that we support and enjoy. In their topical solutions, ingredients like amino acids, peptides and caffeine help support the scalp and hair from the outside in, while slow-release beadlet technology and science-backed ingredients in their Hair Vitamins provide support from the inside out.
Your journey should lead to happy hair
Maybe you should go for the bangs — if that makes you happy. Or try out any of the fun gray, platinum, or silver color trends. Regardless, the key is staying informed, and now that you know all about the scientific root of happy, healthy hair, you can make informed decisions. Life is too short to not treat yourself (and others) with kindness and compassion. And, it’s always the right time to be the best version of yourself — at least, that is the belief of the team at Divi where they are certainly rooting for you. If you are looking for happy hair and a healthy scalp, then take back control with clean, science-backed ingredients and a special offer from Divi for the AGEIST audience. Use code “AGEIST” at checkout for 20% off your first order at diviofficial.com/AGEIST.
The ideas expressed here are solely the opinions of the author and are not researched or verified by AGEIST LLC, or anyone associated with AGEIST LLC. This material should not be construed as medical advice or recommendation, it is for informational use only. We encourage all readers to discuss with your qualified practitioners the relevance of the application of any of these ideas to your life. The recommendations contained herein are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. You should always consult your physician or other qualified health provider before starting any new treatment or stopping any treatment that has been prescribed for you by your physician or other qualified health provider. Please call your doctor or 911 immediately if you think you may have a medical or psychiatric emergency.